07 November 2011

It's a small world after all (a re-post from the LUC blog)

We all know the (in)famous song. In fact, it's probably stuck in your head right now.


But alas, 'tis true. It's a small world after all. I mean yes, the 7th Billion person was born a few days ago and yes there are well over 200 countries and yes it is a whole planet we're talking about - but take the following situation.

Clayton (girl I met on Santorini who is studying in Athens): Where are you from?

Me: Lousiville, KY - you?

Clayton: Napierville! You didn't by chance go to Sacred Heart did you?

Me: Um. Yes.

Clayton: My field hockey team played your field hockey team.


Me: Oh, cool.



Clayton and Friends sit on a volcanic rock.

Cool? How about, SERIOUSLY? I'M ON A GREEK ISLAND AND I MEET SOMEONE WHO PLAYED MY HIGH SCHOOL'S FIELD HOCKEY TEAM?!?!?

The connections you make while traveling are just amazing to me. Simply amazing. This is one example, but I can't tell you how many times I hear someone tell a story and then just have to shake my head and say - oh, the tiny world of travel.

Clayton was a pretty amazing girl, as were her friends. I have met so many amazing people while traveling - some I've friended on Facebook, some I plan on seeing again, and some I'll probably never see again - except when we both just happen to be traveling in the same country, in the same city, and happen to sit down at the same restaurant or in front of the same church.

Because in the amazing world of travel stuff like that just happens. All the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment