01 March 2012

Let's go to the Market!

I have a new Saturday morning plan...that doesn't involve sleeping to about, oh, 3PM every week.

True story.

So this past Saturday morning I managed to roll out of bed at 9:55AM. At approx. 10AM (i.e. 10:05) I walked two blocks up my street to the famous Milk Market! There I met up with some other international students and basically started to really appreciate Limerick more.

There were several garden stands set up.
Not only was the permanent market filled to the proverbial brim, the streets surrounding the market were filled as well with stands and people.

She had free samples of really really good chocolate.
There were all kinds of vendors - fresh produce, smoked meats, organic veggies, cheese, pastries...

My favorites as you probably know by now.
The most impressive part for me was the spirit. Rather than the tired Limerick filled with abandoned buildings and empty lots I was used to, here was a Limerick awake and bustling with a very apparent sense of community.

Fresh fish! Didn't smell that bad actually.
So guess what I'm doing this Saturday? Before taking the bus to meet my friend Natalie (of last semester's adventures) in Dublin I'm going to the market. I won't be buying anything - though that chocolate will be calling my name....

This is my tea guy. He sells high quality loose tea! And coffee beans...
I take that back. I probably will get a nice fresh cup of coffee. I'll have a breakfast of samples. 

The food everyone thinks of when they think of Ireland.
I must say, one of the things I will miss most about Europe is the prevelance of fresh food markets. It's one of my goals to shop Farmer's Markets when I get back to the States. It's about more than the food - it's for the sense of community and closeness as well. 

Baci,
Mari

No comments:

Post a Comment